Leaving on a bright note
Starting over is so scary but I’m ready for it.
I’m ready for a new change in pace, a new routine in my life.
No more going to class three days a week, and no more last-minute assignments.
The time has come for me to actually start adulting.
Technically, I’ve been doing that but soon I’ll be able to say I’m not a student anymore.
Which also means no more financial dependence on my mother, and she is relieved.
No more going to see Dr. Dicks every semester to register for classes.
And, most important, no more stressing over school in general.
I didn’t start off at Detroit Mercy on the best terms but I plan to leave the happiest I’ve ever been.
I want to finish on a good note so that when I look back I can reminisce on all the good Detroit Mercy has given me – whether it be the faculty and staff or the students or the wider community.
Going to a school like this has brought so much joy and acceptance into my life.
We may not be in the best neighborhood or have the best student life or whatever, but we accept what we have and make the best of it.
And that’s what I’ve learned to do: Accept what I’ve been given in life and make the best out of my situation.
That’s what I can only hope to expect in my future.
So, it’s been real Detroit Mercy, but I have to go and put this degree to use.
Signing off, Akilea McKay.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More VN News Articles
Recent VN News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR VN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST VN NEWS
RECENT VN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum